Professional Certificate of Competency in Structural Design for Non-Structural Engineers (Online Learning)
This professional development course is designed for engineers and technicians who need to understand the role of a structural engineer.
Construction is the largest industry in the world. Within a civil engineering context, construction may refer to bridges, dams, earthworks, foundations, offshore structures, pipelines, power stations, railways, retaining structures, roads, tunnels, waterways, and water or wastewater infrastructures.
Anything constructed needs to be designed first. Structural engineering deals with the analysis and design aspects required to ensure a safe, functional, and economical end product. During the design process, the designer may regularly interact with specialists such as architects and operational managers. Once the design is finalized, the implementation requires people to handle aspects such as statutory approvals, planning, quality assurance, and material procurement.
Learners are able to:
• Gain a basic knowledge of structural engineering that includes the principles of analysis of structures and their application, the behavior of materials under loading, the selection of construction materials, and the design fundamentals for Reinforced Cement Concrete (RCC) and steel structures.
• Analysis and design aspects required to ensure a safe, functional, and economical end product.
Must be over 18 years at the time of application and who have previously achieved a level 3 qualification. There are no specific entry requirements for this qualification, but as a learner you will be ideally to be working with an organisation or role where they can demonstrate skills and apply knowledge. Alternatively, you could draw on previous experience within an organisation or use an organisation you are familiar with.
- IELTS minimum 5.0- 6.5 overall with no fail.
- Pass 5 GCSE subjects or equivelant
Who have demonstrated some ability and possess Qualifications at Level 3, for example ‘A’ Levels or vocational awards.
Who have spent some time in an organisational role and wish to develop their careers further.
With professional experience looking to change careers through work-based learning.
• Analysis of Statically Determinate Structures I
• Analysis of Statically Determinate Structures II
• Principles of Strength of Materials I
• Design Theories and Loads
• Design of Steel Structures I
• Design of Masonry and Timber Structures
This course gives you the opportunity to start developing your career with dedicated career development support in addition to your online tuition.
- On completion of your studies, you may be given a full-time graduate opportunity by your employer
- You may wish to further your studies by taking on an academic Master programme or a level 7 professional qualification