Professional Certificate of Competency in Safety Instrumentation Systems for Process Industries (Blended Learning)
This professional development course is designed for engineers and technicians who wish to develop their knowledge of the design and implementation of safety instrumented systems as applied to industrial processes.
Safety control systems are widely used in hazardous processes to protect people, the environment, and equipment against serious harm. Many countries look for compliance with international standards IEC 61508 and IEC 61511 as a benchmark of acceptable quality in the design and management of safety controls.
Learners are able to:
• Explain the key requirements of the IEC 61511 standard for all stages of the safety project from hazard and risk assessment studies through to hardware and software engineering and on to the maintenance and proof testing regimes.
• Learn about the meaning and implications of Safety Integrity Levels (SILs), how SIL targets are determined, the role of alarms in safety-critical applications, and the key features of safety-certified PLCs.
Must be over 18 years at the time of application and who have previously achieved a level 3 qualification. There are no specific entry requirements for this qualification, but as a learner you will be ideally to be working with an organisation or role where they can demonstrate skills and apply knowledge. Alternatively, you could draw on previous experience within an organisation or use an organisation you are familiar with.
- IELTS minimum 5.0- 6.5 overall with no fail.
- Pass 5 GCSE subjects or equivelant
Who have demonstrated some ability and possess Qualifications at Level 3, for example ‘A’ Levels or vocational awards.
Who have spent some time in an organisational role and wish to develop their careers further.
With professional experience looking to change careers through work-based learning.
• Overview of Safety Instrumented Systems
• Safety Life Cycle Models
• Hazard Study Methods
• Risk Reduction by SIS
• SIL Determination Methods
• Designing SIS Structures
This course comes with practical on-the-job training in a role relating to your studies. You will be required to work with one of our employers for 20hours per week and will receive a part-time salary.
The objective of this career development programme is to introduce you to a professional career and equip you with the relevant experience needed to secure a career.
- On completion of your studies, you may be given a full-time graduate opportunity by your employer
- You may wish to further your studies by taking on an academic Master programme or a level 7 professional qualification