Professional Certificate of Competency in Fundamentals of Road Construction (Blended Learning)
This professional development course is designed for engineers and technicians who need to understand the fundamentals of site investigation and operations in road construction. This course is designed to provide a clear understanding of the factors involved in the planning and construction of roads. It gives participants a combination of theoretical knowledge and practical experience in construction, operability, design, and maintenance of road facilities.
The course covers the construction of a road to the alignment, gradient and cross falls selected by the designer, which often involve a considerable amount of earthworks. The operations necessary for setting out and control of earthworks are described and elaborated on together with a brief outline of the elements involved in a geometric design.
Learners are able to:
• Provide a clear understanding of the factors involved in the planning and construction of roads.
• Provides information on the construction of earthworks and the preparation of pavement foundations subsequent to the construction of pavement structure.
Must be over 18 years at the time of application and who have previously achieved a level 3 qualification. There are no specific entry requirements for this qualification, but as a learner you will be ideally to be working with an organisation or role where they can demonstrate skills and apply knowledge. Alternatively, you could draw on previous experience within an organisation or use an organisation you are familiar with.
- IELTS minimum 5.0- 6.5 overall with no fail.
- Pass 5 GCSE subjects or equivelant
Who have demonstrated some ability and possess Qualifications at Level 3, for example ‘A’ Levels or vocational awards.
Who have spent some time in an organisational role and wish to develop their careers further.
With professional experience looking to change careers through work-based learning.
• Introduction & Construction Management
• Preliminary Investigations
• Subgrade Evaluation
• Setting Out
• Earthworks I
• Earthworks II
• Pavement Materials
This course comes with practical on-the-job training in a role relating to your studies. You will be required to work with one of our employers for 20hours per week and will receive a part-time salary.
The objective of this career development programme is to introduce you to a professional career and equip you with the relevant experience needed to secure a career.
- On completion of your studies, you may be given a full-time graduate opportunity by your employer
- You may wish to further your studies by taking on an academic PhD programme or a level 8 professional qualification