Professional Certificate of Competency in Electrical Power System Protection (Online Learning)
This professional development course is designed for engineers and technicians who need practical skills and knowledge in understanding power system protection, including how to calculate fault currents, and select relays and associated instrument transformers appropriate to each typical system or equipment.
Any power system is prone to ‘faults’ (also called short-circuits), which occur mostly as a result of insulation failure and sometimes due to external causes. When a fault occurs, the normal functioning of the system gets disturbed. The high current resulting from a fault can stress the electrical conductors and connected equipment thermally and electrodynamically.
Learners are able to:
• Provide with skills and knowledge in understanding power system protection, including how to calculate fault currents, and select relays and associated instrument transformers appropriate to each typical system or equipment.
• Learn how to adjust the setting of the relays so that the relays closest to the fault will operate and clear the fault faster than the backup devices.
Must be over 18 years at the time of application and who have previously achieved a level 3 qualification. There are no specific entry requirements for this qualification, but as a learner you will be ideally to be working with an organisation or role where they can demonstrate skills and apply knowledge. Alternatively, you could draw on previous experience within an organisation or use an organisation you are familiar with.
- IELTS minimum 5.0- 6.5 overall with no fail.
- Pass 5 GCSE subjects or equivelant
Who have demonstrated some ability and possess Qualifications at Level 3, for example ‘A’ Levels or vocational awards.
Who have spent some time in an organisational role and wish to develop their careers further.
With professional experience looking to change careers through work-based learning.
• Power System Overview
• Basics of Power System Protection
• Types of Faults and Short Circuit Current Calculations
• System Earthing and Earth Fault Current
• Fuses and Circuit Breakers With Built-in Protection
• Relays and Auxiliary Power Equipment
This course gives you the opportunity to start developing your career with dedicated career development support in addition to your online tuition.
- On completion of your studies, you may be given a full-time graduate opportunity by your employer
- You may wish to further your studies by taking on an academic Master programme or a level 7 professional qualification